About Historic Vineyard Society
HVS (Historic Vineyard Society) is a non-profit, 501 C-3 organization dedicated to the preservation of California’s historic vineyards. HVS’s Mission is accomplished through educating the wine-drinking public on the very special nature of this precious and depleting state, national and global resource.
We operate with no salaried staff and virtually no overhead. Your tax-deductible donation to the Historic Vineyard Society supports historic vineyards through education, research and vineyard-related events. Help keep these precious vines in the ground!
Registry of Heritage Vineyards
Objective: Compile a comprehensive, fact-based and consistent directory of California’s Heritage Vineyards.
- A currently producing California wine vineyard
- Original planting date no later than 1960
- At least 1/3 of existing producing vines can be traced back to original planting date
Vineyard dating validation process
To ensure consistency, the vineyards nominated for the Registry will undergo a review process.
- Reviewers will include the Project Team, supplemented, if necessary, by other industry professionals
- In the event of factual dispute, the Project Team may request documentation
- If a factual dispute cannot be resolved to the satisfaction of the Project Team or the winery/vineyard owner, the vineyard date will be listed as “under review”
- The Project Team will honor any requests to remove vineyards from the registry
How to nominate a new vineyard for the Registry or challenge existing vineyard information:
Please forward all comments and inquiries to Mike Dildine, or a member of the Advisory Council.